Thursday, July 23, 2009


I got a kick out of Kolo and Kai at Strawberry festival on Vashon. These two youg men (maybe 6-8 years old) stopped by my booth on Saturday after the parade and wanted to know about the rune necklaces I was displaying. I explained that runes are an ancient form of writing, and each symbol stands for a sound--like in our alphabet--and also has a magical meaning. I showed them Kano, or Kenaz, the letter that would stand for the "k" sound in both their names. Oh, Yes! they each wanted a rune necklace, but --alas--had no money. I put one aside for them "for tomarrow".
A bit later, Kai came by, asking if I wanted to buy what looked like his mother's business card, for $1. I'm still kicking myself for saying no. Next, I heard him at the booth next door, offering "a long one for $1 or a short one for .50". I think he sold one of each!
An hour or so later, Kolo and Kai came by with enough to buy one necklace. They had decided to share it. I took their pictures as knight and princess.
A while later, they came by asking if I would sell them another necklace for $1.75, which was all the money they had left. I gave them Thurisaz, "breaking down barriers", to go with Kano, "creating your reality", because they had broken down the barrier of having no money to create the reality they wanted: a rune necklace for each. As Kai slipped the necklace with Thurisaz over his head, he turned to Kolo, wearing Kenaz, and said,"you create the reality and I break it down." I wonder how this will play out in later life?


No comments: